1. Check licensing and insurance requiremnts. This requires a little bit of studying on your part. You should be able to go to your favorite search engine and search for “(state name) HVAC contractor licensing requirements.” To read more about licensing requirements for HVAC contractors in Burlington, KY you can click here. In the same manner, you can search for information on insurance requirements. This might seem labor intensive, but it’s worth it to make sure that you’re dealing with a professional. If the HVAC contractor you speak with is unwilling to share this information with you, move on to another company.
2. Ask for references. Again, checking these references will take time on your part, but a few minutes to make sure you are getting quality workmanship is time well spent. Thanks to technology, you can also go online and read review sites like Angie’s List or Google Reviews. Note that you should read reviews that are good or bad. If the review was average, pay attention to how the customer was treated. Sometimes mistakes can even be made by the best. What matters most is how it is handled in the end. If the company made it right, chances are they are good to work with.
3. Ask what brands the contractor carries. Make sure that they use only equipment that follows government mandated energy efficiency guidelines. This really isn’t about “following the rules.” Updating your HVAC system to be energy efficient will save you a lot of money on your monthly bill! In addition, check for government tax credits or benefits for purchasing certain appliances. It might be worth your while to find a contractor who can meet those guidelines.
4. Get a free consultation. HVAC contractors in Burlington, KY, really anywhere, should be more than willing to inspect your system and provide you with an informed opinion. In fact, if they diagnose a problem based on a conversation, this could be a red flag. Even if you provide specific information from another HVAC Contractor who previously inspected your system, the new HVAC contractor you are speaking with should want to inspect your system independently before quoting an exact price.
5. Get a written, itemized estimate. Do this especially if you are having to install a new system or get a hefty repair. Getting more than one opinion is always the smart thing to do. By getting written estimates, you can compare cost, energy efficiency and warranties. The lowest price is not always the best deal. However, if there is an enormous price difference it could be a red flag. Unfortunately, there are still HVAC Contractors in Burlington, KY and everywhere that over-charge for their services.
6. Get a written proposal before hiring. Sign a written proposal with a contractor before work gets started. It'll protect you by specifying project costs, model numbers, the job schedule and warranty information.
7. Tell everyone! If you find a good HVAC contractor then make sure to share it with your friends and family. Whether you need an HVAC Contractor in Burlington, KY or Orlando, FL they aren’t always easy to find. Save your friends and family some time and let them know you had a good experience. The contractor may even offer some sort of discount for referrals.